Niederlandische Wissenschaftler suchen Lasius flavus

Schreiben Sie in diesem Forum Ihre Fragen, Beobachtungen und Berichte zu anderen Ameisenarten.

Moderatoren: Gerhard Heller, Buschinger

Antworten
Dutch ant researcher

Niederlandische Wissenschaftler suchen Lasius flavus

Beitrag von Dutch ant researcher »

Hallo,

weil meine Deutsch-sprache nicht so gut ist, hoffe ich dass es kein Problem gibt dass ich jetzt nach English andere.

Let me first introduce ourselves: I am a Dutch ant researcher working at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
For a project that focusses on the evolution of the mutualism between Lasius flavus and the root-aphids in its nest, we are currently doing fieldwork in Northern Netherlands, Denmark and (hopefully) the northern part of Germany (roughly between Rostock and the Hamburg). Aim of this field work is to map the occurrence of Lasius flavus in different vegetation types as well as the biodiversity of root-aphids occurring in the nests.
Therefore, I would like to ask you, whether you know any sites in this part of Germany where Lasius flavus occurs. Do you have any advises or other information?

Secondly, I am also busy setting up lab colonies of this species. Does someone among you have experience with keeping Lasius flavus with and without root-aphids?

Hopefully you can help me! I can perfectly read german, so answers in German won't be of any problem, just my writing of German is not good enough to be used on your forum.
Thank you so much in advance!

also on behalf of my collegue
best wishes,

Aniek Ivens, PhD-student, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
Buschinger

Beitrag von Buschinger »

Hi Aniek Ivens,

Personally I cannot help you. But I suggest that you contact M.G. Nielsen from Denmark.
I remember that he has done some work on Lasius flavus, and perhaps he can give you helpful advice.

http://person.au.dk/mogens.gissel.nielsen@biology

Regards,
A. Buschinger
!!! EINHEIMISCHE HAUSAMEISEN SIND KEINE SCHÄDLINGE per se !!! - Sie nutzen nur Baufehler bzw. Bauschäden zur Anlage ihrer Nester. Dies ist anders bei Exoten wie Pharaoameise, Pheidole spp. usw..
Dutch ant researcher

Beitrag von Dutch ant researcher »

Thank you very miuch for your reply. Yes, we have been in contact with Mogens Gissel Nielsen, and even went into the field with him here in Denmark.
However, still we are looking for localities in (Northern) Germany, for he only worked in Denmark himself. Nature conservation area Hoeltigbaum near Hamburg might be an option. Does anyone know this area, and whether it would be possible to sample there?

best wishes,
Aniek Ivens
Buschinger

Beitrag von Buschinger »

Hi Aniek Ivens,

I have posted your request in another forum and I hope that there will be one or the other ant-keeper from this area (Hamburg to Rostock) who can tell where to find Lasius flavus:
http://www.antstore.net/viewtopic.php?t=6110

The species is one of the most frequent in northern Germany and you should find it there in similar places as in the Netherlands: in pastures and meadows.
It is not necessary to go into a nature preserve, which would mean that you had to apply for a special permit from local authorities to collect there.
But in Germany you may enter any private property (except for fenced gardens around homes), be it agricultural area or a forest, to look for your ants. When going to a farm it may be appropriate to ask the owner, if there is a chance to see him. Nobody will mind if you just go onto a pasture (even if fenced) and dig around a little in the ant mounds. Just beware of bulls that may be on the pasture :D

In the antstore forum and in other German forums the ant-keepers quite often discuss on keeping L. flavus with root aphids, but I guess that as yet nobody has really succeeded.

Let’s hope that we get a reply.

Best wishes,
A. Buschinger
!!! EINHEIMISCHE HAUSAMEISEN SIND KEINE SCHÄDLINGE per se !!! - Sie nutzen nur Baufehler bzw. Bauschäden zur Anlage ihrer Nester. Dies ist anders bei Exoten wie Pharaoameise, Pheidole spp. usw..
Borodimmwerty

Re: Niederlandische Wissenschaftler suchen Lasius flavus

Beitrag von Borodimmwerty »

It’s really great posts.
Antworten